Sunday, March 31, 2019

Mateo's Gourmet Hatch Chili Salsa

I purchased Mateo's Gourmet Hatch Chili Salsa at a local Walmart. Price for a 16 oz. jar is about $3.78. The price puts it in the higher realm of jarred salsas, about twice what you'd pay for something like Herdez Salsa CaseraFor this reason, I expected some good things from this salsa.  This variety is listed as "Medium" on the heat spectrum and I found this to be about right.  It claims "All Natural Ingredients" and that it is Gluten Free. It is a product of Frisco, Texas, where apparently, their idea of Mexican food differs somewhat from the Southern California cuisine I am used to.

Perhaps this is partially why I did not get a great vibe from this salsa. While it is certainly not an awful flavor, I felt that there is some spice that is overpowering, something along the lines of chili powder, although I didn't see chili powder in the ingredients list unless it was disguised as "Spices". The salsa does have a nice texture and exhibits a good diposity characteristic, meaning it clings well to a chip. It also contains garlic, which I generally like.


Mateo's official website is here: http://www.mateossalsa.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment